Reimbursements for dentists’ fees: Number of recipients
Illness / Reimbursement of medical expenses
The insured person receives reimbursement from the National Health Insurance scheme for part of the fees charged by dentists in private practice for oral and dental examinations and treatments provided.
The statistics on dentists' fees reimbursed from the National Health Insurance scheme include
- Number of persons who have received reimbursement for dentists' fees
- Number of reimbursed procedures performed by dentists
- Amount of dentists' fee charged per procedure
- Calculated reimbursement per procedure. The reimbursement from the
National Health Insurance scheme is based on the amount charged for the
visit by the dentist and a calculated reimbursement is included in the
statistics for the individual procedures.
- Reimbursement, %. The figure indicates the percentage share of the amount
charged for the procedures by the dentist which is reimbursed to the
insured person from the National Health Insurance scheme.
Variables and classifications
- Procedures by type of treatment. The groups of treatment
follow, as a rule, the classification of procedures published by the
National Institute for Health and Welfare.
- Time period. The variable states the year during which the
reimbursements for dentists' fees which the statistics refer to have been
- Geographical focus. The smallest unit is the municipality, from
which larger units are formed. The data on municipality is based on the
municipality of residence of the persons who have received reimbursement
for dentists' fees. Data on reimbursements for dentists' fees are included
in the statistics for a certain municipality for the persons who had the
municipality in question as their municipality of residence at the end of
the reference year.
- Recipient group. The recipient groups are front veterans and
minesweepers as well as other persons who have received reimbursement for
dentists' fees. Dental care for front veterans and minesweepers is
reimbursed in accordance with the Act on the Arranging and Reimbursing of
Dental Care for Front Veterans. Dental care is reimbursed from the National
Health Insurance scheme as medical care to the whole population.
Statistical reference period
Annual data available from 2006.
Annually updated in January.
Kela – The Social Insurance Institution of Finland. Statistical registers
(total material) produced from the benefits system for reimbursements of medical expenses.
Additional information on reimbursements for medical expenses is available
at www.kela.fi under Our Services » Sickness »
and at the same address under About Kela » Statistics » Statistics by topic »
Reimbursements for medical expenses.
Kela, Section for Analytics and Statistics